Friday, July 3, 2009

What of the power of faith?

Faith.

It's a term we all throw around at some point but what is faith? What does it do?

We define faith in terms and use words like belief and trust in a person, thing or idea. We imply that when we have faith in something that the thing we have that faith in, that person, that idea, is set in stone. We can imagine no other outcome but what we have faith in holding true, becoming a reality. It's a web that holds the concept we have faith in tightly and sends the message to the universe that we believe without a doubt that it will become a reality.

But where does it come from? What makes the words we utter, the thoughts we think, become this concrete reality we believe so fervidly in?

I'm not dissing faith in anyway, I happen to have a lot of it myself, but it seems such a fickle thing at times. I can have so much faith in something, in an idea, in a concept that my belief in it is unshakeable and I have watched time and time again, the things I have faith in become that reality. Yet at the same time, I can have faith in something so strongly and that thing has not come to pass, somewhere along the way it's fallen apart.
So what is it that marks the difference between the two scenarios? On the surface, the faith seems the same. But is it reallly? Is there something extra in the first instance that makes that reality, that is missing in the second instance?
I think there is.

When we are honest with ourselves, when we break it down and see the truth for what it is, we realise that faith is a powerful tool. But it is only as powerful as the thoughts that hold it in place. All those times that I had such fervid faith in something that came true, my thoughts were unshakeable. There was only one outcome, one belief, one thought in that idea coming true and this here is the key. The underlying thoughts that backed up my faith accepted no other possibility. There were no "what if's" no "but's" in those thoughts whatsoever. Just this blind belief that the concept I had faith in would come to pass.
For the times when the things I had faith in have fallen through, at the end of the day, when I'm sitting here asking myself where it all went wrong I realise that while on the surface I believed fervidly that my faith was unshakeable, underlying (and undermining for that matter) my belief were the questions. On the surface it appeared that it was all going to plan, but I would wonder what if this, what if that and I realised that my faith really wasn't as strong as I'd made it out to be. It's in these moments that I realise that it's not the universe against me, it's not God punishing me, it is me that is my downfall. I only have myself to blame. Such it is with most things, it's not an external force acting against us to bring about our apparent downfall, it is only ourselves. When we are honest, when we stop pointing fingers and look inside, we see that we were questioning the idea all along.

This is true of all things (more on that another time) but more so with faith. Faith can move mountains but only when that faith is unshakeable. I have always believed that what you believe becomes reality. Faith makes that reality. Faith takes the things you believe in and turns it into what you desire. But it can only do that if it is an unquestionable faith, an unquestionable belief. The moment even the tiniest thought questioning your desire comes into play, the web starts to break. First as a tiny hole that can be repaired if the question can be dropped, if you can let go of the worry. But if you start picking at the hole, if you allow the what if's and the but's to keep going, you start breaking apart the idea and it can't become reality. The web no longer holds it tightly in place to become that concrete reality.

So what of faith then? How does it work?

I believe that faith is the tool with which we can create our reality as we see fit. If we can have unquestionable faith in something and leave that in place without questioning what it is that we want, without thinking about whether it's even possible, if it we can leave faith alone and just believe, then even the impossible becomes possible.

Idea / Concept = Thought + Belief (faith) in that thought = Concrete Reality

Absurdly simple really, it's just a pity that the hard part is the belief in the thought.

But if we are honest with ourselves - there are no limits to what you can achieve.



Love and light my people!

The bard.

2 comments:

  1. So now I know why you sit and keep quiet for long periods of time.... You've got a gift in putting your belief, feelings and thoughts down in writing exactly as you how you mean. Does that make sense?? One word back at cha --- Beautiful! Jx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awsome!!!!!And exactly what I needed to read at this stage in my life, as usual, sweet Mercury, you have the gift of speaking to peoples heart and hit the right spot at the right time! looking forward to your next piece...xox

    ReplyDelete